Tuesday 28 July 2009

Bootcamp life in Hull - be prepared!

I delivered a Bootcamp in hull and Personal Training presentation this morning. I only had 10 minutes to state what I do and why I do it, whilst at the same time partly educate why I advocate certain methods of physcial training and exercise. Most of it was directed at losing weight and preserving muscle tone - mainly what people want! Sounds simple but getting important information across in 10 mins is harder than you think! The attendees were business associates, also part of the BNI Wilberforce Chapter.

I went on to describe my experiences that weights are a lot more effective for fat loss in the long term than your regular cardiovascular exercises, basically stating the fat-burning zone is a myth.

The Caveman analogy came out (which all of my clients will know about!) and it got me thinking about 'how' people train.....and I don't simply mean what they do......more the 'style' and 'mindset' they do it in. For example do they give it 100% or 60%? That kind of 'How.'

In Last weeks Bootcamp, a man came in and gave it 100%. He gave it his all. How do I know? Because he was sick afterwards. He made it to the end. Im proud of his effort.

It is this kind of attitude that makes you a stronger individual. The feeling that you have either been beaten, or close - and that you will be stronger the next time. It's the kind of feeling you do not get sitting on a freshly cleaned leg extension machine, taking as much rest as you can while you check out lady Gaga's bod on the gym TV's.

Bold
This experience got me thinking about life in general, and got me thinking the question; What would happen if something really bad happened and we had to fight for our lives? What if a disease epidemic actually came and could kill off the weakest of us? What if you were attacked in the street and had to fight for your life? How hard would you run? How hard would you fight? Would you stand a chance of surviving?

Hard Bootcamps like the Strength and Conditioning Bootcamp in Hull prepare you for life. They make you adapt to intensities you rarely reach in your fancy gym.

Think you are strong? Maybe you are. Maybe you can bench press 1.2 x bodyweight, squat 1.5 x bodyweight and/or deadlift 2 x bodyweight.

Think you are fit? Maybe you are. Maybe you can do a sub-45min 10k, or row a sub-20min 5000metres.

But can you pull your bodyweight on a sled over 80 yards of grass in less than a minute?
This is a different workout altogether. Strength meets power and some anerobic work capacity.

The Saturday Bootcamp boys did this - some pulling a cool 100k sled in 30-50 secs. One guy even went for 15kg over his bodyweight!

This week we might have to up it to 100yards :) .

Do you fancy the challenge? If so email me here, or call/text me on 07762772671 to confirm your place.

Time to step up and prepare for life.

No comments: