Sunday 3 January 2010

11 things I learned in 2009 . . .

1) Spending time with family is very important.....and often neglected.

2) 2 smaller holidays seem 'better' than 1 long one! I don't know whether this is because of more variety or because there's less time 'til the next.......it just seems better!

3) A planner or diary can help you save so much time. I don't just mean appointments. To-do lists when you have some free time are immensely valuable. We all have the same 24 hours, how do you use yours?





4) I repeat the above statement! To-do lists done the night before will save you time - over and over. I have read that this could be because we go over the 'plan of tomorrow' while we are asleep. Whether that's true or not, it works for me . . . . Plus, Reading before bed seems to work too . . . .

5) Helping a Young lad at Bootcamp become stronger, and watching him progress made me feel great. Helping others can be easily done - and sometimes it can be as simple as just listening to someone.

6) Sometimes you need alone time, and away from your TV, laptop etc. You, a notepad and pen or a book can be enough.

7) If I can free up a bit more time, in 2010 I'm going to spend more time with my first love..........my guitar :)



8) The gym can be a great place to train - but nothing beats the outdoors. My Bootcamps have been successful this year....In 2010 they are going to get a lot more attention. Especially now that your first session is F-R-E-E. Those that cant walk the talk have no excuse for having a go!

9) Gym strength is not the same as real world strength. You may be able to stack the leg press but pulling a bodyweight sled on dry or even damp grass is something completely different. It may even be the hardest thing I know!!!!





10) Although I have gone on (and on!) about the multiple benefits of resistance training (weights) I am finding more and more people listening....and seeing better results. Maybe next year more will be!

11) You are either moving forward or you are moving backward. To be moving forward you need to be making small important decisions consistently. Doing one important decision every day will help you far more than trying to do many that you probably won't even get around to doing!



Whether you have resolutions or not, as 2010 approaches - maybe we should all have a clear-out of our lives, keeping what is important to us and stop wasting time with the unimportant.

Happy new Year!


John

PS Both Mens and Womens Bootcamps start January 4th and you must book on! Your first session is free so ring or email me if you are interested . . . . :)

No comments: